Sunday, November 4, 2012

Trimming down the battery holder rods

Over the past two days, I have been working on tweaking the battery holder to handle the large, 12v 18ah batteries I use in R2

My friend, Fred, was able to translate my doodling into something that would use the existing hole pattern.

Left: Holder I had made, Right: Included holder designed for 12v 7ah batteries

Installation is pretty straight forward...


But I noticed we had a small issue getting the the batteries into the outer sides.

The round battery frame rods extend into the battery holder space.....

I was pondering a few ways to trim the round aluminum rods and thought i would ask Fred for his thoughts.  Hacksaw?  Dremel?  File?  No!  Bring it over, let the CNC do it!





We used a file to remove whatever remained.

And here's how it all looks now...





Now 41 pounds of batteries no longer required an awkward bungee cord and bracket to stay in place!