Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Making some minor changes to the JAG Foot Drive

It was too humid for painting so I decided to tackle another task on the To-Do list.

The original JAG Foot Drives this droid has is equipped with socket head screws.  The problem with this is that once installed, two adjustment screws are blocked by the foot shell.  In the past, I have used some vice grips to loosen the bolt and adjust the drive belt.  However, its a real struggle once the bolt head has been clawed up a few times!

I laid the leg down on a soft surface, a quilt, to make sure i wasn't going to bang up the paint any.

I bought some hex head 1/4-20 thread screws that are 1 inch long to replace the four socket head screws I would need to adjust in the future.  With these screws, I can simply use a crescent wrench now.

The first step is to take the motor off the motor mount of the drive.

Once the motor is removed and safely out of the way, its just a matter to removing the screws that hold the drive to the foot shell on top.  I had to remove the ankle lock so that the ankle could pivot, allowing me access to all the screws.  Once out, everything came out easily...

Now it was time to replace the socket head bolts with hex head ones...

With the ankle channel accessible, it was time for some cleaning!

 With everything put back together, it was time to now adjust the drive belt with the new bolts in place.  As you can see on the right, now I can access the bolts to loosen and tighten as needed.

 Now all that is left to do is re-install the plastic ankle lock and we are done with this foot!