Thursday, September 1, 2011

Inner skin done, on to the outer

Tonight I pressed on with sanding the front skins.

I finally have the inner skin cleaned up.  I also have the detail pieces from the outer skin all cleaned up (all the dried up glue residue is gone).  The outer skin detail pieces will remain at 50 grit, since we want a roughed surface for the Very High Bond (VHB) 2mm tape to grip onto.  The inner skin, which will have portions visible, will be sanded up from the current 120 grit to 220 grit, for a nice shine.



The outer skin is a bit more of a challenge.  Since I am dealing with the curvature, sanding is a bit more of a challenge than the inner skin.  Also, a lot of the adhesive is on this side and when sanded, tends to gum up rather than fling loose.  I am using a lot more sandpaper than I thought I would be using but I am making steady progress.  I am still going at it with the 50 grit mouse sander and 80 grit sanding flap on the Dremel




The 3M VHB adhesive should be arriving next week.  Then I can begin the process of applying the tape to the outer skin!