Monday, August 29, 2011

Starting work on the front outer skin

Hurricane Irene plowed through Maine yesterday so I out off doing any work over the weekend, not sure what to expect.  As it turns out, Irene went west of me, leaving us with a bit over 2 inches of rain and strong winds gusting up to 50 mph.  No damage, thankfully!

Today I went to work on the outer skin.  The inside has a lot of residue from the 3M 77 adhesive.  While using acetone would certainly speed this up, it would also risk seeping onto the painted side, ruining that.  

I went to work with the mouse sander using 50 grit sandpaper.  It was slow work, I think the Dremel sanding flap wheel would work better....but I need to pick up a new one.

Here's how it the surface looks after a few minutes under the sander...