Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Skin work continues - fixing booboos of the past

Tonight I had to study for a final exam so I didn't spend much more than an hour on the skins tonight.

One of the things I wanted to do was finish up the inner skin panel.  I want to get everything sanded and cleaned up, which means eliminating and removing two old servo mounts I had made in the skin.  I plan to re-do these using smaller servos, but more on that later.

In this picture, you can see the JB Weld residue from the servo mount...


Here's the after, with only the hinge mounts for the doors remaining...


The next thing I wanted to do was use JB Weld to fill in all the mounting holes to the frame.  I did them wrong the first time, years ago and had to drill new ones.  Most of the time I have been covering them up with white electrical tape but here's a chance for a do-over!

I used some blue painters tape on the outside of all the holes and then filled them with JB Weld to dry overnight...








When this has dried I will be able to sand it smooth...although I may have to apply some more JB Weld to fully fill the holes.


What's the plan for the inner skin?  I would like to mount aluminum servo mounts for the micro-servos to the skin.  The trick will be, as is always the case, finding locations that are not blocked by frame structures.  Hindsight is 20/20 and after struggling to mount servos in the skins when assembled, I would like to be able to drill, countersink flush for contact with the outer skin.  I've also learned a lot about servos and linkages.  The micro-servos are plenty powerful to open and close the panels and doors.  But, we'll see how things look when I have the skin lined up on the frame.