Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rear panel cleanup and prepping the inner rear skin for bonding

Tonight I started to clean up the excess JB Weld that seeped beyond the outer skin. In hindsight, I wish I had made more of an effort to clean it up with a toothpick while it was wet...but I was concerned about applying any pressure that would affect the bond.

Using a Dremel wire brush, you can see that I have cleaned up a good deal of the lower part. It looks worse than it is. I will still need to file/sand the corners/edges. My ancient Dremel was over heating badly, so I called it quits on the bottom pieces.

Since I was already full of dust, I decided to finish the inner rear skin and remove the paint. Now that this is done, I can clean it and bond the skins together. I was going to wait and use 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape but I may not wait that long. I think some 5 minute epozy, that mixes itself in the nozzle, will work perfect for this task.

I just have to uncover the blue tape to reveal the white spots that show thru the outer skin.
Skins are almost done!