JAG offered a bolt-in electronics tray for his frame that is really slick. I really wanted to find a way to make that work in the old frame. After toying with the idea in my head for a few days, I finally decided to give my idea a go.
Since the frame rods are further apart than the newer frame, simply drilling holes into the frame rods wouldn't be the ideal solution. I really wanted a simple solution so that if I had to ever remove the tray, its not major surgery to do so.
So, here's the result of my endeavor...
How? Good ole L-brackets up top, then two well placed and tapped holes for 4-40 screws. I drilled two 10-24 holes in the top ring, countersunk them to stay out of the Rockler's way. With the screw bolt into place, from under the frame ring I slid on the L-bracket over the exposed bolt and secured it into position with a lockwasher and wingnut. With those in place, I could fine tune where to drill the hole to hold the tray in place. A quick drilling, slide a 10-24 bolt thru and lock it in place with a lockwasher and nut.
For the bottom part, I noticed that the edges of the electronics tray sit flush with one of the frame rings. I grabbed my #25 drill bit (for creating 4-40 thread holes) and drilled into the tray and frame ring. Once tapped, I used the countsink bit and had the tray bolted into place. Picture below!
I'm sure I could have come up with a more interesting setup but for me, this works....quick and functional!