Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Electronics tray mounted in R2-D2 #1

With the electronics portion of R2 starting to come together, it was time to figure out how to mount them inside my old frame. The frame of my first R2-D2 is the first offered by JAG (technically called the T&J frame). JAG has gone on to refine this frame over and over again to its latest version, the v5. R2-D2 #2 has a v5.

JAG offered a bolt-in electronics tray for his frame that is really slick. I really wanted to find a way to make that work in the old frame. After toying with the idea in my head for a few days, I finally decided to give my idea a go.

Since the frame rods are further apart than the newer frame, simply drilling holes into the frame rods wouldn't be the ideal solution. I really wanted a simple solution so that if I had to ever remove the tray, its not major surgery to do so.

So, here's the result of my endeavor...



How? Good ole L-brackets up top, then two well placed and tapped holes for 4-40 screws. I drilled two 10-24 holes in the top ring, countersunk them to stay out of the Rockler's way. With the screw bolt into place, from under the frame ring I slid on the L-bracket over the exposed bolt and secured it into position with a lockwasher and wingnut. With those in place, I could fine tune where to drill the hole to hold the tray in place. A quick drilling, slide a 10-24 bolt thru and lock it in place with a lockwasher and nut.


For the bottom part, I noticed that the edges of the electronics tray sit flush with one of the frame rings. I grabbed my #25 drill bit (for creating 4-40 thread holes) and drilled into the tray and frame ring. Once tapped, I used the countsink bit and had the tray bolted into place. Picture below!


I'm sure I could have come up with a more interesting setup but for me, this works....quick and functional!