Sunday, June 7, 2009

Doors cleaned & primed....repaired another

Here's the front skin panels that required some clean-up after having the trim JB Welded on.


After rinsing under some hot water, I towel dried the remaining residue away with a paper towel. I then let it sit in the sun for an hour so any remaining moisture would evaporate.

Once dry, it was time to put the Duplicolor Etching primer on them. After three coats, spraying 15 minutes in between, they are here drying.


Tomorrow I'll start on them with some 400 grit sandpaper to make sure everything is smooth before the white paint goes on.


After spending a lot of time cleaning up the JB Weld on the other doors, I decided to prefer to apply it on the back. Granted I'll have to smooth it out some so that the door can close snugly in the skins....but less chance of harming the side that everyone sees!
This door is from my first R2-D2. I had painted the door panel and trim before adhering them....a newbie mistake. After removing the paint with some 90 grit paper, then some 220 grit to smooth it out, I adhered the trim and panel together. Using JB Weld, this will take 12-14 hours to harden. Tomorrow I'll clean up the excess JB Weld with the Dremel then prep this for priming.