Sunday, August 22, 2010

Working on the body panel doors

Now that R2's doors are spending so much time opening and closing via the onboard computer, it was time to clean them up.

The first thing I needed to do was cover up the painted side with painter's tape.  I didn't want to have to re-paint the entire droid!  This would also protect the doors from scratches and errant primer or paint.

All of the doors use JAG hinges, except on large door.  I really wanted to replace the Robart hinges with the superior JAG ones, but I already have a servo mounted and installed to work with it. 

Removing the doors from the hinges went pretty smoothly.  The door with the Robart hinge was just above the octagon port.  I couldn't fit a screwdriver to loosen it, so the entire hinge had to be removed.

After some tinkering, all the doors are out...

As you can see, one door was already painted.  That was the one I also removed a hinge from, so the old JB Weld needs to be sanded off before these get primed and painted.

After this first coating, I gave them a thorough sanding with 400 grit sandpaper, to make sure everything was smoothed down.  After another light coating, it was off to the first coat of white....

 ....and that's where I have left them for now.  We have some rain in the forecast so its not ideal painting weather for a day or two.  That will give me some time to make sure all is good with the doors, sanding as needed....then the final coat.