Saturday, August 21, 2010

Time for some maintenance

This evening I dismantled R2-D2 for some routine maintenance.  


With R2's skins on, its very difficult to access some areas that need attention.  One area that needed some work was R2's right front large door servo.  The bolts that attach the servo to the mount had come loose.  As a result, the door was not opening and closing all the way.   Its a quick fix with the skins off, so I replaced the bolts with new ones, a lock washer and a lock nut to secure into place.




The wiring needs clean up and I also need to install quick-release connectors for the leg wires.  


The doors are going to be removed and I would like to prime and paint those, since R2 opens and closes them so much.  (Its become a popular "trick" R2 does).




That's it for tonight.  Hopefully over the next few days I can begin working on the cpu arm structure.  More on that later!