Friday, June 4, 2010

Ankle and Legs upgraded

As I posted yesterday, when I took the ankle and legs off, crucial parts rolled out!  The threaded inserts had failed.

I got in touch with my friend Jerry Greene and he mentioned having the same problem with his droid.  He upgraded to much larger bolts and bored out the existing 10-24 holes to 3/8.

I made a run to the local hardware store and bought the drill bit, nuts and bolts I would need....


Drilling out the existing holes didn't take long...


As a result, R2 has 4 visible bolts showing on the ankle.  I'll paint those white in a few days...


Here's a picture of what the ankle looks like inside.  Since my ankle has a vertical piece, I had to drill thru that to accommodate the length of the bolts.  The small pieces of blue tape are leftover....I taped the bolt to the wrench and slowly slid them into position.


These are the nylon lock nuts I used...


On the left are the current bolts holding the ankle and leg together.  On the right are what used to be there!