Monday, August 3, 2009

Rear skin prep work

This afternoon I started in on the rear panel. I removed all the 3M Painter's tape and checked out the results. Overall, not bad but due to the humidity we have had lately, some of the tape left some goo behind. There were also a few spots where the JB Weld oozed beyond where it was instead.

To correct this, I used some 120 grit sandpaper on the panel for an even finish. I'm going to leave it like this to make bonding the detail pieces on better.

I also had to re-think how I am going to bond the rear skins together. One of the other builders found some very thin 3M tape that is double sided and has the strength to hold the skins together. The tape is 2mm thick and based on what the other builder has posted, is having great results. So, I ordered some! (
In order for the adhesive to work best, it will need to go on bare metal. In order for that to happen, I taped off the areas in which the inner skin is exposed to the outer. Once that was done, it was time to start sanding away the paint and primer (that I had just put on a few days ago!)....

I still have more sanding to do but the tape will not be here for a few days.