Sunday, July 13, 2008

Octogan port mounted

Today I wanted to get the front octagon port installed. At first, I was thrown off because I had the thing sideways, so it was not going flush with the skins. Essentially, the cuts are made so that it matches the curve of the skin. Once I had finally figured out which was was right, I went ahead and siliconed it into place from behind.

The little fella is starting to take shape.

I also did some additional paint coats to the doors and side pieces that covers the gap between skins (right of octoport in last pic). Right now they need another coat or two of satin white to match the rest of the droid.

I am debating how best to get the vent panel piece...the blue piece around the center vents...into place. There's not a lot of surface area for silicone but I may take the skins off and see if it works better that way.

Last on my "how will I pull THIS off" list is the side vents. The way these things are made, they can't be glued to the skins. I have seen where some people mount them into the frame, the slide the skins under the lip of the vent. But that calls for a lot of fancy manuevering. So, I think I am going to look into getting some rare earth magnets and some L-brackets. My thought is after the skins are attached, these could be "popped" into place via magnetic force.

But...we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment...due to problems in the past with spammers and other abuses, all comments have to be screened before being published.