Monday, June 9, 2014

Shine On, Wynter Fundraiser

On May 30th, R2-D2 and I were special guests for a Silent Auction and Fundraiser for Wynter.

Wynter was recently diagnosed with a type of childhood cancer, called ALL, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.  Her First Grade teacher, Kathy Crawford, organized this wonderful event with the help of co-workers and my good friend, Melissa Gerety.  Melissa was spectacular at organizing our ToyRaiser last December and I was thrilled she agreed to help us with this cause!

The event was held at the school, which is a huge, new facility for Grades K-8.  The school gym hosted many tables of donated items for auction.  There was a picture booth for the kids to dress up and take goofy photos in.

And of course, R2-D2 was a special guest!  I had a few volunteers available to help protect R2-D2 from wandering hands trying to pull or push delicate electronics in.  I got to focus on controlling R2 while they were the crowd control.

To help raise money for Wynter's climbing medical bills, in addition to the auction, R2-D2 was accepting donations for pictures.


After the event wrapped up, the "team" posed for a picture with R2-D2

R2-D2, Darrell Crawford,  Paul J. Bussiere and Kathy Crawford
And I had a chance to get a picture with Wynter as well.  Due to her weakened immune system, she was sporting gloves, mask and head scarf.

Paul J. Bussiere, R2-D2 and Wynter
I may not get to attend all the fantastic CONs and Conventions I read all about...but it certainly is a privilege to help out a wonderful family.