First, it was time to go right down to the rough stuff...150 grit.
Then it was time to hit the thing with 220 grit. I didnt focus too much on the panels on the bottom since those will get more detailed attention when they are removed.
After a LOT of time going round and round with 220 grit, hunting down the spin lines, I decided to have a little fun. I took some 800 grit, then 1000 grit, to the front of the dome. Pleased with what I was seeing, I couldnt resist dabbing some Mother's polish on there and buffing it out. Alas, some shine.
As for the desired finish...well you know, I was aiming for the borderline shiney/not very polished. But the more I see other R2's with the non-shine (like Victor's and R2-R9), I'm begining to lean towards leaving it with that brushed look.
But again, we'll see. I just keep changing my mind!