Sunday, October 21, 2007

Another day of Dome work

Today I dedicated a great deal of time to getting the dome sanded. I tried to take pictures as I made progress throughout the afternoon.

First, it was time to go right down to the rough stuff...150 grit.



Then it was time to hit the thing with 220 grit. I didnt focus too much on the panels on the bottom since those will get more detailed attention when they are removed.


After a LOT of time going round and round with 220 grit, hunting down the spin lines, I decided to have a little fun. I took some 800 grit, then 1000 grit, to the front of the dome. Pleased with what I was seeing, I couldnt resist dabbing some Mother's polish on there and buffing it out. Alas, some shine.




While it was fun to see some shine, there are still some more lines to sand down. And I also think the entire dome needs a once over in 320 grit.

As for the desired finish...well you know, I was aiming for the borderline shiney/not very polished. But the more I see other R2's with the non-shine (like Victor's and R2-R9), I'm begining to lean towards leaving it with that brushed look.

But again, we'll see. I just keep changing my mind!

1 comment:

  1. Yep that is a lot of work I helped Calvin sand on his and it did take days. my Dome is clear so I don't have to sand LOL I am building a R3-T7 I will be checking out your blog> By the way nice feet!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment...due to problems in the past with spammers and other abuses, all comments have to be screened before being published.